UML stands for Unified Modeling Language. It is a general-purpose standardized language. Its goal is to facilitate a standard way to visualize the system’s design. Thus, UML is a standard language for a blueprint of the software. It presents various models that define any hardware working and software working of the system as well.
These tools are facilitated by MKLab. Here are several tools used for creating UML diagrams. Following are some tools of UML with various advantages:
This tool is a software modeling open-source tool. It facilitates eleven kinds of diagrams. StarUML 2 version is adaptable with version UML 2.x.
- StarUML tool permits to model Profile Diagram, Activity, Communication, Sequence, Deployment, and Use case.
- It permits to install and discover the third-party extensions.
- It is compatible to work with similar UX within multiple platforms along with Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- There is no boundary to use this software for interpretation.
Download Link: http://staruml.io
Umbrello is a modeling tool for UML. It is implemented under Linux and KDE. It is helpful for reverse engineering and code generation for Java as well as C++.
- It supports to analyze the screenshot to look an active umbrella.
- It helps to model software diagrams and other system diagrams in a proper format.
- It represents a handbook to provide instructions to UML modeling and Umbrello.
Download Link: http://umbrello.kde.org/
Edraw Max is the builder software of UML. It will help to model diagrams with the use of templates and ready-made symbols. It permits to import the designs to various files formats like HTML, Word, PPT, PDF, etc.
- We can design network diagrams, electrical diagrams, UML, mind map, flowchart, etc.
- It gives an interface that is very user-friendly same as MS Word.
- We can share several designs anywhere, anytime.
- Edraw Max facilitates approx 280+ diagram solutions and flowcharts.
UML Designer tool
It is the tool that provides a group of common diagrams for working with the UML 2.5 versions. It offers an easy approach for evolution through UML to domain-specific designing.
- UML Designer tool permits to re-use the given work and representation in complete transparency over both UML and DSL models.
- This tool supports to model Composite structure Diagram, Component Diagram, and Class Diagram.
- It also permits to apply legacy models of UML and start implementation with DSL.
Download Link: http://www.umldesigner.org/
Altova UModel is also an essential UML tool among all other tools. It can design a software model rational for some projects. Visually model application in UML can be achieved with the use of Visual Basic, C#, C++, or Java.
- It models perceptive visual modeling for every UML diagram.
- Its helper window permits to make the desired models.
- It permits to connect hyperlinks to any element within the UML diagram.
- We can appoint the element to the particular layer, and layers may be closed to prevent changes.
Download Link: http://www.altova.com/umodel
Umple is an open-source tool for incorporating constructs of textual UML in code generation, programming languages, or with the use of the simplified method of UML modeling.
- Umple tool can be used to work online, as a stand-alone command-line jar, and also like the Eclipse plugin.
- It is useful for learning and understanding UML faster.
- It permits developers to insert generation templates, concept patterns, and another abstraction inside the traditional code.
Download Link: http://cruise.eecs.uottawa.ca/umple/
Visual paradigm is an essential tool for software design that can be tailored for software engine projects. It supports a team of software development. So, it can create development processes and an information system of a business.
- It facilitates the complete tool for database design, system design, process design, etc.
- It provides user story aspects to maintain and capture the needs of users.
- Visual paradigm tool facilitates support for SysML, DFD, ERD, and UML.
- It supports 14 diagrams of UML2.
Download Link: http://www.visual-paradigm.com/
It is another essential comprehensive tool that provides all the aspects which may be acquired to the current environment as a Unicode strings support. It is a distribution of the StarUML 5.0 version. It gives the facility to fix-up the bugs.
- It directly accommodates the ERD profile and integrates to parse and generate the SQL tables.
- It provides support to Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
- It gives the conquer functionality from the UML tool as a supported diagram’s extensive selection.
- Its good usability provides the feel and look of a natural programming environment globally.
- It provides a revived user interface.
- It can handle the Unicode string’s functioning completely.
- It can download and upload unit’s on-demand.
Download Link: http://whitestaruml.sourceforge.net
Draw.IO permits us to manage and create the drawing of these tools easily. It is a freely available online tool. It can be used to model network diagrams, ER, UML, process diagram, and flowcharts. Several early and wide share presents with Draw.IO.
- There is no boundary on the size number.
- Various templates are present itself in the software design.
- It permits to save the design in a preferred location.
- These tools do not require any installation.
- It offers reliability and security.
- It can work efficiently with almost all browsers.
Download Link: http://www.draw.io/
This tool started as a tool of UML, but now GenMyModel developed to cover the business modeling along with BPMN support and Archimate. It provides a repository of the centralized model. It allows for simultaneous and easy model collaboration. GenMyModel also provides its support in IT modeling.
- We can share and spread our knowledge with access right administration and visioning.
- It can be useful for project stakeholders and management presentations.
- It provides help to incorporate the strength of desktop designing tools along with the modernized web solution.
- It permits for export and import facilities as a PDF document directly.
- It produces the online code.
Download Link: http://www.genmymodel.com/
UMLetino is an open-source tool of UML. It is used to develop the UML diagrams. These tools do not require installation. It can be implemented directly in our browser. It work on the basis of UMLet. UMLet is an eclipse plugin and enforces as the standalone tool.
- Various diagrams are exported as an XML file or another image file like SVG, JPEG, or GIF format.
- These tools do not require any installation, and it is available for free.
- It permits us to save the diagrams along with other colleagues.
Download Link: http://www.umlet.com/umletino/umletino.html
Diagramo tool is the open-source UML tool. It is a free online HTML5 flowchart software. It is simple to install and download in our server.
- It permits us to save the diagrams as an image.
- It is the only diagram that provides the facility to build-up the flowcharts.
- It facilitates lifetime storage and support.
Download Link: http://diagramo.com
Astah is the UML editor tool. It is unified with the mind mapping aspects. This tool supports us to envision the core of our views before we begin coding. Previously, it was named as Java and Developer’s Environment (JUDE).
- Astah tool is faster to model the UML as compared with non-UML-specific or Excel drawing tools.
- It can envision the functional requirements and other requirements, and every relation among them or to another model element.
- It supports copy & paste, exclusive control, and merge feature.
- It exports RTF, HTML, and other image files.
- It imports various XML files.
- It can work with the Linux operating system, Mac, and Windows intuitively.
Download Link: http://astah.net
Visual Modeling Software
Microsoft focus is a kind of visual modeling tool. It allows software and business development to design and analyze software architecture.
- It offers us to create enterprise architecture and also provides a facility in which codes, architectures, and requirements always are in sync.
- It facilitates data modeling systems and model-driven architecture.
- It has a feature, named as Livesource technology. It allows us to use the source code of the programming language to reduce unnecessary work and management elements.
Download Link: https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/products/together/overview
BOUML is also a free tool of UML2. It includes modeler. This tool helps us to generate and specify code in MySQL, Python, PHP, Java, and C++. BOUML can be programmed in C++ and QT.
- It executes under MacOS X versions, Linux, and Windows.
- It helps us to program in MySQL, Python, PHP, Java, and C++ simultaneously.
- BOUML is a very fast tool.
- It does not require much memory for maintaining several thousands of classes.
- It supports reverse engineering and code generation.
- Also, it is a multilingual tool.
Download Link: http://www.bouml.fr
ConceptDraw facilitates a full range of solutions for the business graphic memo. The business graphic includes project management memo, data presentation, data envisioning, infographics, diagrams, and flowcharts.
These solutions provide business-specific supplements that give a wide variety of requirements of the workflow.
- ConceptDraw version 12 provides comprehensive and powerful drawing tools.
- It helps us to improve our presentation techniques and empower our communication processes.
- ConceptDraw is a standard suite for developing plan software.
- We can use critical business metrics that will be helpful for tracking live object automation.
- It can also be used to model UML diagrams, DFD, network topology, and ERD.
Download Link: http://www.conceptdraw.com/products/drawing-tools
Dia UML tools are full-featured diagramming tools that are certified under GPL. It allows us to draw many kinds of diagrams. Also, it has some unique objects that help us to draw UML diagrams, network diagrams, ER diagrams, flowcharts, and various other diagrams. While modeling a simple file of XML for creating new shapes, it allows us to integrate a group of Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG).
- It provides help for some new shapes with the use of a group of Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) for drawing the shape, by modeling simple files of XML.
- It allows us to export many diagrams to various formats, including PNG, DXF, CGM, JPEG, VDX, WMF, XFIG, SVG, and EPS.
Download Link: http://dia.installer.de
Sparx system tool is used to design the diagrams for maintaining, building, modeling, testing, and documenting object-oriented features. Sparx system is an innovative solution’s leading vendors that are based on UML (Unified Modeling Language). This tool can be used to build maintainable and robust software.
- The sparx system has a feature of robust document generation.
- It facilitates end-to-end traceability.
- It has a model repository that gives high performance.
- This tool helps us in building powerful project management.
- It designs business and strategic level models.
- It gives recyclable model patterns and domain-specific profiles.
- Sparx system facilitates us role-based security.
- It connects and integrates a range of behavioral and structural information in the visual format for creating a justified and logical model.
Download Link: https://sparxsystems.com
Gliffy is a free drawing tool that is available online. It gives support to draw UML diagrams. It is mostly used diagramming application. It is used to model UML diagrams, Venn diagrams, floor plans, flowcharts, and many more. Dynamically, it permits us to edit and share gliffy diagrams.
- These diagrams allow us to model a diagram easily.
- It facilitates the strength of visual collaboration and communication.
- It offers practical and high-speed integration with Confluence and Jira.
- It supports BPMP models strongly.
- It supports a drag-drop interface.
- Gliffy tools export the diagrams in many formats like SVG, JPEG, PNG, and PDF.
- These tools are also supported by almost every web browsers like Firefox, Internet Explorer 9+, Safari, and Google Chrome.
Download Link: https://www.gliffy.com
Lucidchart tools are an HTML5 based tool of UML that facilitates real-time capabilities for collaboration. It allows us to model the simple flowcharts as well as the complex, specialized diagrams too.
- Lucidchart is integrated with Atlassian, MS office, and G suite.
- It helps us to boost security and manage the user accounts easily.
- It allows us to link live data along with our diagrams.
- It imports the data to build the organization charts automatically.
- These tools can effectively work on every device with our team between various platforms.
- It also allows for user interaction when sharing, editing, and drawing charts and diagrams.
- It works with the keyboard shortcuts very fast.
- It establishes the containerization concept as various complex diagrams include several people and steps.
- These tools are platform-independent.
Download Link: https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/
The magic draw UML tools are the first complete version for efficient modeling. Clear layout and modern design fix this desktop application for various high demands apart from a proprietary. These tools are used to design UML diagrams, UPDM, SysML, and BPMN, which provides support to the dynamic collaboration of the entire team.
The magic draw can be meant for QA engineers, programmers, software analysts, and business analysts. It offers for designing and analyzing databases and object-oriented systems.
- Regularly, it adds new features on the basis of the responses suggested by the users.
- The floating licenses support us to save naturally. If we have so many developers, then we require applying these tools for a particular moment of time.
- We can use these tools in several applications when once purchased.
- Free support service is provided by the expert team of the magic draw.
- The training period is small, and the training is straightforward.
- The magic draw supports for .NET, DDL generation, XML schema, database schema, and programming languages (C#, C++, J2EE, CORBA IDL).
- It consolidates the perception of reverse engineering.
- It envelops the model refactoring for improving several existing models.
- It is domain-specific.
Download Link: https://www.nomagic.com/products/magicdraw
It is a visualization software and a famous chart. Microsoft visio is a product of office family. Thus, it is easily integrated along with other products of office. It supports modeling plans, data flow diagrams, floor charts, business process modeling, swimlane diagrams, process flow modeling, and many others.
- Visio is the platform-independent software.
- Visio supports us to design a professional diagram. It can be done by designing Diagrams, flowcharts, engineering designs, org charts, and many more.
- It will enable us to connect the diagrams and the flowcharts towards real-time data.
- It allows us to work together over diagrams from the web browser, or almost from everywhere.
Download Link: https://products.office.com/en-in/visio/flowchart-software
Modeling tools are an early modeling environment. This tool incorporates UML support and BPMN support. It is helpful for a broad range of diagrams and models.
- This tool facilitates an XMI export and import feature that empowers us to exchange the models of UML2 between several tools.
- We can extend this tool for various languages, modeling techniques, or methodologies.
- Modelio provides support of JSL (Jython Scripting Language).
- It offers integrated support of BPMN with UML.
Download Link: https://www.modelio.org
The Nclass tool is an open-source, free tool. It is used to design class diagrams, including full support of Java and C# languages. It contains a user-friendly and straightforward interface for rapid and convenient development. Nclass tool needs a .NET 4.0 framework.
- Nclass supports us in designing professional viewing diagrams.
- It provides robust yet straightforward class designers, and these are conscious to use.
- It facilitates a simple and accessible user interface.
- It also provides a multilingual featured user interface.
- It offers support for a non-windows user.
- These tools provide an inline class editor, which makes editing easy and fast.
- It integrates reverse engineering and source code generation from the .net assemblies.
Download Link: http://nclass.sourceforge.net
Open ModelSphere tools are a useful tool for process modeling, engineering modeling, and data modeling. These tools are platform-independent, and support the user-interface in French and English languages. This tool is designated in Java. Also, it facilitates forward engineering and reverse engineering.
- It offers massive support from engineers and the software architect’s community.
- It will be helpful for system analysts to incorporate the designation of the business process and data flow diagrams.
- It offers trained modules to legitimate the developed architecture of integrity.
- These tools facilitate the user-interface with French and English language support.
- For connecting JDBC or ODBC drivers to SQL databases, it gives an inherent interface.
- It has a plug-in bi-directional database interface.
- It is helpful in database modeling, physical modeling, and logical modeling.
Download Link: http://www.modelsphere.com/org/
System design rhapsody
This UML tool is a part of the product’s family, and it facilitates a wide solution range for UML designing and modeling. It helps us to handle the complexity, i.e., various companies face with systems and product development. These tools offer collaborative planning and designing the environment, which is works according to the UML for designing embedded, real-time systems.
- It allows us to perform consistency checking, automatically.
- This tool helps us to collaborate with our engineer team.
- It offers validation, which is continuous.
- It automates generation documentation and design review.
- These UML tools elaborate and analyze the requirements of our project.
- It contains a collaboration development, test, and a design environment that is based on SysML, AUTOSAR, and UML.
- It exceeds in an environment of agile engineering.
- It produces a memo after automating the design reviews.
Software Ideas Modeler
These UML tools are designing tools to draw UML, ERD, ArchiMate, flowcharts, and SysML. Software Ideas Modeler tool allows us to facilitate wireframe support and model user stories. It is a designing and CASE tool introduced in C#, which supports every 14 diagrams described by UML2.5, ERD, SysML, DFD, Archimate, wire frames, user stories, flowcharts, and many more.
- It offers us several predefined styles, and it will be helpful to make our diagrams attractive.
- These tools offer convenient Layout and Diagramming.
- Its documented software incorporates better maintainability.
- Software Ideas Modeler tools are used to create infographics, which can be used for visualization of data.
- It includes undo and redo, drag/drop, and automatic scrolling facilities.
- It facilitates straightforward task management.
- It provides support for reverse engineering.
- Also, the Software Ideas modeler supports SVN.
Download Link: https://www.softwareideas.net
It is another essential UML tool among all other tools. The visual model-driven territory works according to the activity diagram, i.e., supported via these reactive blocks. It encompasses hierarchical modeling, code generation, and an expanded library of various ready-to-use elements for a Java platform.
- The reactive block helps in designing complex graphical functions by combining the reusable blocks.
- It gives support to Eclipse Kura, Java, KSF, and OSGI (Open Services Gateway Initiative).
Download Link: http://www.bitreactive.com/reactive-blocks/