What is WordPress?
WordPress is the open source, online web development tool based on PHP
Now it has evolved into the Content Management System-(CMS).
You can create a simple blog as well as a fully operational website. It contains thousands of free plugin, theme, widgets and other tools.
Features of WordPress
- Ease of use
- No HTML and FTP
- SEO friendly Website
- Add extra functionality through plugins
- Plenty of widgets
- Theme customization
- Auto upgrade and support
What is CMS?
CMS is an application with the ability to create, modify
digital content. It supports multiple users, allowing them to work in collaboration. CMS contains two
- A Content Management Application (CMA) can be referred to as a GUI. A user can create, modify, remove and publish content without having knowledge of HTML or other programming languages.
- A Content Delivery Application (CDA) is responsible for the back-end services that manage and deliver content after it is in the CMA.
Difference Between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
Both are the ways of hosting
a WordPress site. The thing that varies with these two methods is the actual host.
By using WordPress.org,
you may download the script free of cost
and host it on a local machine
or with a hosting provider. While WordPress.com
take care of all that by hosting the site for you. You need not manage a web server, but you will have to pay for hosting.
If you don’t want to have your own hosting or managing a web server, then WordPress.com may be the way to go. It is free and can be quickly set up. You will also have various features and options for your site’s customization. However, it comes with a price. Your website will include WordPress.com
in the URL
and you will not be able to upload custom themes or plugin.
The self-hosted version from WordPress.org
provides more flexibility and control over your site. You will be able to use your own domain name, upload themes, plugin and install them. You will also have access to your WordPress files, database, and code, meaning that you will be able to modify it according to your liking.
Installing WordPress Step By Step
For installing WordPress following software are required:
- XAMPP Control Panel
How to Install XAMP on Windows
Control Panel from https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html
When you double click on downloaded file a warning will appear. Click on OK
Select the path
where you want to install XAMPP and click on Next
Select a Language
and click on Save
button. Your installation is complete. Start your XAMPP Control Panel and click on the Finish
XAMPP Control Panel is now running. Click on the Start
button which starts Apache
After starting Apache and MySQL it will look like this.
How to Installing WordPress
Extract the downloaded zip file.
Create a folder with any name, WP
in my case. Move the extracted file into it. Copy the folder and paste on the location C:\xampp\htdocs.
Now cut all the files from the WordPress folder and paste into the created folder (WP). Delete the folder named WordPress.
Open your browser and type localhost/phpmyadmin/
in the address bar and press enter. The following page will appear.
Click on Database
tab, type name of the database name
and click Create
Now open a new tab in the browser and type localhost/WP
in the address bar and press enter. Select language and click on the Continue
The following page will appear and then Click on Let’s go!
Write Database Name
(optional) and click on Submit
After clicking on Submit button following page will appear. Now click on Run the installation
Enter Site Tile, Username, Password,
and Your Email.
Click on Install WordPress
Now WordPress has been installed. Now click on the login
button to view your dashboard.
After Login, WordPress dashboard looks like this.
The main idea of the dashboard is to provide a place where you can get an overview of what’s happening with your blog or website. All the content of this dashboard grouped into widgets. Position of these widgets can be changed. The dashboard contains the following widgets:
- Welcome to WordPress
- At a Glance
- Quick Draft
- WordPress Events and News
Welcome to WordPress
You can customize your site by clicking on the customized button. It contains different links like Write your first blog post, Add an About page, Set up your homepage, and View your site, etc.
At a Glance
It shows the WordPress version and theme you are running. It counts how many posts, pages, and comments you have.
This is a mini post editor that allows instant content creation from the dashboard. You can include the title and content of your post and save it as a draft.
It gives you a bit more information about your latest post and comments. It also shows the status of all comments.
If you hover your mouse over one of the listed comment, action links will appear.
WordPress Events and News
This widget provides information about nearby events organized by WordPress by entering your city name in the box. It also displays the latest WordPress news.
There is a Screen Options widget which allows you to enable
as per your need. You can minimize and drag a widget according to your need.
This is a black bar at the top of the page. It is only displayed when admin is logged in. It contains links to the most commonly used administrative function
This option allows easy access to different areas of your sites. It contains the following options:
- Posts: Manage posts on your blog
- Media: Manage media content libraries like images, audio, and video.
- Pages: Creating and managing posts.
- Comments: It allows your website visitors to have a discussion with you and each other.
- Appearances: Change the appearance of your site.
- Plugins: The primary purpose of plugins is to expand WordPress functionality without coding.
- Users: Shows all users of your site.
- Tools: It contains tools to perform some non-routine management tasks. You can check site’s health, import and export data to and from other CMS.
- Settings: This is the central hub to configure setting for different sections of a WordPress website. It also adds their setting pages as a menu under the setting tab.
- Collapse menu: All nav menu items are collapsed by default, but you have the option to store the collapsed/expanded state for the menus on a user-by-user basis.
Following window shows all widgets of the WordPress dashboard.
How to Create a WordPress Website
- Choose a domain name and host: You need a domain name and a hosting space to get your website online.
- Create new pages: Create new pages for your website.
- Add content: Write the content which you want to display on the webpage.
- Install plugins: There are some necessary plugins which must be installed are as follows-
- Yoast SEO: This is a WordPress SEO It handles the technical optimization of your site and assists with your optimizing content.
- Contact Form 7: It allows you to create and manage multiple contact forms, use Captcha Verification, and ensure that all spam submissions are filtered out with Askimet.
- WordFence Security: It offers a both free and paid version of WordFence Security. It gives you access to an abundance of tools including Malware, virus and backdoor scanning,
Changing Theme of Your WordPress Website
Click on Customize Your Site.
Click on Change
button at top left corner of the page.
Here you will get two
options: Installed themes
and WordPress.org themes
(Premium). Installed themes are already downloaded on your system and Wordpres.org themes are required to download. You can choose any one of them by clicking on the Live Preview button.
After this click on Activate & Publish
button at the top left corner of the page. Now a new theme is applied to your website.
How to make a WordPress theme
To build a theme you should have a little bit of knowledge of the following:
Plugins are the program written in PHP scripting language that extends the functionality of the website. It provides additional functions to applications.
Choosing a plugin
Before choosing a plugin you should follow the following points:
- Create a list of your requirements.
- Read a review of the plugin which you want to download.
- Check the compatibility of the plugin with currently using WordPress version.
- Take a look at the screenshot of the plugin.
- Read FAQ.
Install WordPress plugin
Click on Plugins
menu in the sidebar, and then click on Add New
A new pages with plugins will appear on the screen, select any one of them which you want to install and click on Install Now
After installing the plugin is required to activate. Click on Activate
Now the plugin has installed successfully.
Click on Plugins
menu. All installed plugins will show here. Here we install Contact Form 7. Click on Setting
link of Contact Form 7.
You will get a shortcode
at the top of the page, copy this code and paste into any new page or widget.
It creates a Contact Form
as shown below.