Introduction to DevOps
It is a software development strategy which involves continuous development, continuous testing, continuous integration, and continuous monitoring of software through its development lifecycle.
DevOps is a combination of two words ‘Development (Dev)’ and ‘Operations (Ops).' It is used to increases an organization's speed to deliver the best quality of applications and services.
Development job is to develop the application and pass their code to the operations team.
The operation team job is to test the code and provide feedback to the development team in case of find any bugs.
Before DevOps Tutorial, we use the Waterfall Model for software development methodology.
Waterfall Model is linear, sequential model that divides software development into different phases. Each phase is design for performing a specific task.
In the Waterfall Model, An application goes next phase only when the previous phase is complete, and if we move to the next phase than it is not possible to move the previous phase.
Limitations of the Waterfall Model
- It is not a good model for complex and object-oriented projects.
- Iteration is costly and involves significant work.
- High cost and resources involved.
- Difficult to make changes because it requires more time for identifying the errors.
- Real projects rarely follow the waterfall model.
To reduce the limitations of the Waterfall Model, we use DevOps.
Why DevOps is used?
- Before, DevOps team members are spending a large amount of their time in testing, deploying, and designing instead of developing the projects.
- DevOps allows Agile Development Team to be continuous development and continuous deliver the products in the market.
- In DevOps, Operations team interact with developers and develop a monitoring plan as per the requirements of the IT and business needs.
Difference Between Agile and DevOps
|Agile refers to an iterative approach which focuses on collaboration and customer’s feedback.||DevOps consider as the practice of bringing development and operations team together.|
|The customers give feedback.||Feedback comes from the internal team.|
|Team size is small.||Team size is large.|
|Agile process is focuses on constant changes.||DevOps focus on continuous testing and delivery.|
|Agile address a gap between customer need, development, and testing team.||DevOps address the gap between development + testing and operations.|
|Agile is not the best for business.||DevOps is best for business.|
Future Scope of DevOps
DevOps offers continuous integration and delivery. It makes product delivery cycle quick and easy.
Following are the factors that will improve DevOps implementations:
- Predictability: Low failure rate of new release product.
- Maintainability: It is the process of improving the recovery rate at the time of the release product.
- Improved Quality: DevOps improve the quality of a product.
- Lower Risk: It helps in reducing the number of defects across the product.
- Cost Efficient: DevOps offers efficient cost in the software development process, which is always an aspiration of IT companies and every business organizations.
- Stability: DevOps offers simple, stable, and secure operational state.
- Streamlined Delivery: DevOps provides optimized software delivery, so marketing effort is reduced up to 50%. It is possible due to the mobile application and digital platform.
Top 8 DevOps Tools
There are following DevOps tools that are used to improve the performance of the DevOps team and also improve the developer's efficiency.
Puppet is a configuration management tool used for deploying, configuring, and managing services.
Chef is an open source integration framework used in more complex infrastructure with less effort. Chef supports Linux variants, Unix variants, and windows.
Sensu is a monitoring tool written in Ruby that uses RabbitMQ as a message broker and Redis for storing data. It mostly used in monitoring cloud environments.
Nagios is an open source computer system and network monitoring application tool used for troubleshooting.
Bamboo built in java. It uses Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc. operating system and MySQL, SQL Server, and Oracle 12c H2 databases.
Eclipse is a free, Java-based application platform. It provides an open-source Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
Git is a free, open-source distributed Version Control System tool designed to handle small to massive projects with speed and efficiency.
Version control is the management of changes to the document, computer program, large websites, and other collection of information.
There are two types of Version Control System (VCS)
- Centralized Version Control System (CVCS)
- Distributed Version Control System (DVCS)
SaltStack is Python based, open source, and configuration management tool created to the fixed gap in puppet. It is easy to set-up, understand, use, and extend.
is an integration of development and operation process. You cannot implement DevOps without understanding its life cycle:
There are following steps includes in the DevOps Lifecycle:
- Development: It is the first phase of the DevOps life cycle. In this phase development of software takes place. In the development phase, the entire development process divided into a small development cycle.
- Testing: Quality Assurance (QA) team used a tool like selenium to identify and fix bugs in the piece of code.
- Integration: In this phase, new, functionality integrated with the current code. Continuous development is possible only due to continuous integration and testing.
- Deployment: In this phase, continuous deployment takes place.It performed in a manner that any changes in the code, should not affect the functioning of a high traffic website.
- Monitoring: It is the last phase of the DevOps life cycle. In this phase, the operation team will take care of the inappropriate system and finding bugs found in production.
DevOps Principal in Details
There are following DevOps principal are as follow:
Customer-Centric Action: DevOps team must take customer-centric action for that they should constantly invest in products and services.
Continuous Improvement: DevOps focuses on continuous improvement to minimize the risk and speed up the quality of products and services offered.
Monitor and Test everything: In DevOps, Operational team is continuous monitor and tests everything in the product. If you find any bugs than the product is send to the Developer for further changes.
End-to-End Responsibility: The DevOps team need to provide performance support until they become end-of-product. It enhances the level of responsibility and the quality of the products.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Skills of a DevOps Engineer
DevOps engineers are responsible for the production and maintenance of a software application's platform.
There are the following Roles, Responsibilities, and Skills that expected from DevOps engineer:
- Able to perform system troubleshooting and problem-solving across platform and application domains.
- Manage project effectively through open, standards-based platforms
- Increase project visibility
- Improve quality and reduce development cost
- Analyze, design and evaluate automation scripts & systems
- Ensuring critical resolution of system issues by using the best cloud security solutions services
- Sufficient experience in automation tools
- Shell programming experience with Bash, Strong command-line, and experience with at least one of Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.
- Experience with server-side technologies such as Apache, Nginx, & Redis