What is Hibernate?
Hibernate is an Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) tool which reduces the difficulty in the application development. Hibernate provides a framework that interacts with the data stored in the databases. It also uses the specifications of the Java Persistence API (JPA) and licensed by GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL). It supports almost all relational databases.
Gavin King is known as the father of hibernate. Hibernate can be used both in Java SE (Standard Edition) and Java EE (Enterprise Edition).
Hibernate is an essential component of JBoss EAP (Enterprise Application Platform). JBoss tools provide a smooth implementation and testing of code in application development.
What is ORM tool?
An Object-Relational Mapping tool helps to clarify the creation, manipulation, and access to the data. With this technique, the object is mapped to the data stored in the database. ORM is used to solve some mismatch problems like
- Granularity– It is defined as an object which can further be divided into new data fields. For example, a person as an entity. We can divide ‘person’ into new more attributes like name, address, contact, etc.
- Inheritance– Inheritance enables a sub/child class to inherit the properties and attributes of its super/ parent class.
- Identity– A Relational databases provide a small concept of identity. It is referred to as a column that automatically generates numeric values.
- Association– It defines a relation between two objects based on a common attribute.
- Navigation– It is a database in which records and objects are found through the reference of other objects. The method of object access is different in both Java and RDBMS.
Java Persistence API (JPA)
JPA defines a set of functionalities, standards, and concepts to the ORM tool. It is available in the javax.persistence package. To decrease the line of codes for relational object management, a coder must follow the “JPA Framework,” which easily allows interaction with the database.
JPA is an open-source framework and was first released on May 2006. There are many enterprise vendors like Oracle, Eclipse, etc. which provide new JPA products.
Hibernate framework Tutorial Topics
Hibernate Inheritance Mapping
Hibernate Named Query
Hibernate Query Language (HQL)
Hibernate Criteria Query Language (HCQL)
Spring mvc + hibernate example
Registration form using spring and hibernate
Spring mvc + hibernate login example