“Text Clipping is a process in which we remove those part (portion) of string that is outside the view pane (window).” Various methods and techniques can do the text clipping. These techniques depend on the character generation method. It means we can select text clipping techniques according to the text generation technique.
Method of Text Clipping
There are three following methods to perform text clipping.
- All or none string clipping
- All or none character clipping
- Text Clipping
All or none string clipping: In this method, we only consider the string that is entirely inside the view pane (window). We remove the string that is partially or fully outside the boundary. We compare the window coordinates with string coordinates.
All or none character clipping: It is similar to string clipping, but it is based on characters instead of a string. In this method, we compare the character coordinates with window coordinates. There should be following conditions to consider-
- If the character is inside the window, then we will consider it.
- If the character is fully or partially outside the window, then we will remove the character.
Text Clipping: Itis also known as “Individual character clipping” or “Bitmap character clipping.”In this method,we consider only those characters that are fully inside the view pane (window). If some portion of the character is outside the view pane then-
- We will remove those portion that is entirely outside the window.
- If any character is lying on the view pane boundary, then we will remove those portion that is outside the window boundary.
It is a clipping process that is related to only nonlinear equations. The curve clipping is a complicated procedure to implement. In this process, we only consider the part of the circle that is inside the window. We will discard the part that is outside the view pane (window) or on the boundary of the view pane.
Exterior clipping is a process in which we consider and save the object part that is outside the view pane (window) and discard the part that is inside the window. It is a reverse process of previously discussed clippings.
Uses of Exterior Clipping
We can use exterior clipping for the following purposes-
- It is used for overlapping the pictures in applications.
- It is also used in marketing and advertising.
- We can use it in multiple window systems.
- Exterior clipping helps in designing picture patterns.
- We can use exterior clipping in publishing.
- We can also design and represent the maps and charts with the help of exterior clipping.