Introduction to Computer programming
Computer programming refers to writing computer programs. Computer programs are the sequence of instructions, which are written using a Computer Programming Language. Computer Programming Languages are used to perform a specific task by the computer.
Computer programs are also called computer software. Instructions of a Computer program are called source code and computer programming is also called program coding. Programs make computer active otherwise, without programs a computer is just a box.
Human beings need language to communicate with each other. In the same way to communicate or to provide instructions to the computer, computer scientists have developed many programming languages.
Following are some of the computer programming languages:
History of Computer Programming Language
- In 1883, Ada Lovelace Created Algorithm for the Analytical Engine for Charles Babbage’s Analytical Engine to compute Bernoulli numbers. It was the 1st programming language.
- In 1949, Assembly language was widely used in the Electronic Delay Storage Automatic Calculator. It was a type of low-level computer programming language.
- In 1952, Alick Glennie developed a programming language called Autocode.
- In 1957, John Backus developed a programming language called FORTRAN. It is the oldest computer programming language and still used today.
- In 1958, Algorithmic Language called Algol. It is served as a starting point in the development of languages such as Pascal, C, C++, and Java.
- In 1959, Dr. Grace Murray Hopper developed COBOL. It stands for Common Business Oriented Language.
- In 1959, John McCarthy developed LISP. It stands for LISt Processing language.
- In 1964, John G. Kemeny and Thomas E. Kurtz developed BASIC. It stands for Beginner’s All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code.
- In 1970, Niklaus Wirth developed Pascal. It is easy to learn and was originally created as a tool for teaching computer programming.
- In 1972, Alan Kay, Adele Goldberg, and Dan Ingalls developed Smalltalk at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center.
- In 1972, Dennis Ritchie developed C at Bell Labs. C is the first high-level language.
- In 1972, Donald D. Chamberlin and Raymond F. Boyce developed SQL at IBM. SQL stands for Structured Query Language.
- In 1978, Cleve Moler developed MATLAB. MATLAB stands for Matrix Laboratory.
- In 1983, Brad Cox and Tom Love developed Objective-C. It is used to write software for macOS and iOS, Apple’s operating systems.
- In 1983, Bjarne Stroustrup developed C++. It is used in game engines and high-performance software.
- In 1987, Larry Wall developed Perl it is a scripting language designed for text editing.
- In 1991, Guido Van Rossum developed Python. Instagram use frameworks that are written in Python.
- In 1993, Ross Ihaka and Robert Gentleman developed R at the University of Auckland.
- In 1995, Sun Microsystems developed Java.
- In 1995, Rasmus Lerdorf developed PHP. It is used in Web development which runs on the server.
- In 2000, Microsoft developed C#. It is based on C# and also similar to java.
- In 2014, Apple developed Swift. It is a replacement for C, C++, and Objective-C. It is versatile and can be used for desktop and mobile apps.
Uses of Computer Programs
- MS Word, MS Excel, Internet Explorer, Chrome, etc., are some of the examples of computer programs.
- It used to develop graphics and special effects in movie making.
- It used to perform Ultrasounds, X-Rays, and other medical examinations.
- It is used in mobile phones for SMS, Chat, and voice communication.
Computer Programmer is a programmer who can write computer programs. Following are some of the name of computer programmers.
- C Programmer
- C++ Programmer
- Java Programmer
- Python Programmer
- PHP Programmer
- Perl Programmer
- Ruby Programmer
Advantages of Computer Programming
Pay is a big advantage of working as a computer programmer. By writing code, computer programmers enable a computer to perform tasks. Computer programmers can be title as system analyst, web programmer and application programmer.
If you pursue a career in computer programming as a startup then you need less office space. Computer programming as a career can be performed from anywhere just by carrying a laptop which gives access to the Internet. Companies also provide flexibility to computer programmers like working from home or regular work shifts but the projects which are assigned must be completed on time.
There are many Training center’s available for Training in any programming language. But the main requirement of companies is a four-year college degree in the profession. College degree in computer programming gives you the upper hand in the job market.
The main advantage of computer programmers is job security. There is a high-level requirement of computer programmers due to the coming of daily advance computer technologies. If a computer programmer loses the job, then there are fewer chances he/she will be without a job for long.
Disadvantage of Computer Programming
- The main disadvantage of being a computer programmer is health risks. A whole day sitting in front of a computer can cause several health problems.
- As day to day computer industry is changing, programmers need to be updated in the latest trends and developments.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2014, the average working hours for a programmer is 40 hours per week. But the Bureau also noted that if a project is close to a deadline then the programmer is expected to work extra hours and no extra payment is given. This is known as “crunching”.