Creating a Motion ChartTo create a simple Motion Chart, the following are the steps:
- Open the Tableau Desktop and connect to your data source.
- Drag and drop the Dimension field to the Columns Shelf. Place the same file to the Pages Shelf.
- In the Pages shelf, right-click on the Created Date and choose Month.
- Then drag the measure (here we have taken Number of Records) to the Rows Shelf. The resulting chart appears.
- Put a check mark on the tick box next to Show History to see historically what’s happening.
- Click on the Show History. A dropdown arrow next to it. We want to show all the marks regardless of whether or not they’re in the past. So we select “All”.
- Then we can also adjust the way, the marks are being displayed so instead of showing the actual mark we can choose a “trail” or we can also select “Both”.
- Selecting “Marks” shows only the points and selecting “Trails” shows only the line. So here, we have selected “Trail” option. In the trail format, you can also change the way the trail is being displayed so let’s change that to be a simple dotted line.
- You can see the motion chart is working in a trial format with dotted line and it’s plotting out on a month-month from January to December basis precisely what went on with that data. You will notice that as the information changes, the recent months get a darker shade of color and the historical data gets a lighter shade of color. The following screenshots represents the path of the Motion Chart: