1) What is COBOL?
COBOL is a programming language which is used for finance, business and administrative systems for companies.
COBOL is stands for Common Business Oriented Language.
2) What are the features of COBOL?
Features of COBOL are:
- Robust Language
- Standard Language
- Business Oriented
- Structured Language
3) What are the different data types in COBOL?
Different data types in COBOL are:
4) What is the difference between Structured COBOL Programming and Object Oriented COBOL programming?
Difference between Structured and Object Oriented COBOL programming are:
||Object Oriented COBOL
|It is a logical way of programming
||It is a Natural way of programming
|Here, functionalities are divided into modules
||Here, you identify the objects and then write functions and procedures
5) What is the difference between COMP-1 and COMP-2?
Difference between COMP-1 and COMP-2 are:
|It is a Single precision floating point
||It is the double precision floating number
|Uses four bytes
||Uses eight bytes
6) Which mode is used to operate the sequential file?
(Output/Input mode) is used to operate the sequential file.
7) Give some examples of command terminators?
Examples of command terminators are:
8) How many Sections are there in Data Division?
Six sections are there in data division are:
- File Section
- Screen Section
- Report Section
- Linkage Section
- Local Storage Section
- Working Storage Section
9) What are the access modes of START statement?
There are two access modes of START statement are:
10) What are the different OPEN modes available in COBOL?
Different OPEN modes available in COBOL are:
- Input - Output
11) What is the mode in which you will OPEN a file for writing?
There are two modes :
12) How do we get current date from system with century?
By using Intrinsic function.
13) Which division and paragraphs are mandatory for a COBOL program?
Division and paragraphs for a COBOL program are: Identification division and Program ID.
14) What are various types of search techniques in COBOL?
There are two types of search techniques are:
- Serial search
- Binary search
15) What are the types of table spaces used in COBOL?
Three types of table spaces used in COBOL are:
- Simple table space
- Segmented table space
- Partitioned table space
16) What is the use of 66 and 88 levels in COBOL?
It is used for Renames clause.
It is used for condition names.
17) What is "IS NUMERIC" clause?
"IS NUMERIC" clause:
It is used to check the item is numeric or not. It returns true if the item contains only numbers (0 to 9). Here, the item can be positive or negative.
18) What is scope terminator?
It is used to mark the end of a verb.
If and End-If
19) Which COBOL verb is used for updating a file?
is used for updating a file in COBOL.
20) Where can we use OCCURS clause?
In array declaration, we can use OCCURS clause on Elementary item and Group item.
21) Can a Search be done on a table with or without Index?
To search on a table, the table must be indexed./p>
22) What is the difference between PIC 9.99 and PIC9v99?
The difference between PIC 9.99 and PIC9v99 are:
|It is a four position field.
||It is a three position numeric field.
|It contains a decimal point.
||Here, the decimal position is assumed.
23) What is the use of Linkage Section in COBOL?
This section is used to pass data from one program/procedure to another program.
It is part of a program that maps the data items in the program's storage.
24) What is level 77 in COBOL?
is an elementary level item which cannot be subdivided.
25) What are the divisions available in COBOL program?
The divisions available in COBOL program are:
- Data Division
- Procedure Division
- Environment Division
- Identification Division
26) What is Data Division?
It is used to define the variables in the program.
27) What is the use of File Section in Data Division?
It is used to define the record structure of the file in the data division.
28) What is Environment Division in COBOL?
It is used to specify input and output files to the program.
Environment Division consists of two sections:
- Configuration section
- Input-Output section
29) What are the ways in which parameters can be passed between programs?
The ways in which parameters can be passed between programs are:The ways in which parameters can be passed between programs are:
30) What are the types of Call available in COBOL?
The types of Call available in COBOL are:
- Static Call: Occurs when a program is compiled with the NODYNAM compiler.
- Dynamic Call: Occurs when a program is compiled with the DYNAM and NODLL compiler.