Linux Operating System
Linux is the most popular version of the Unix operating system. Linux operating system is an open-source operating system, which is mainly used for Mainframes, Mobile devices, Embedded devices, and Servers.
Linux is an open-source system because the source code of the Linux operating system is freely available, and Linux is free to use. The functionality of the Linux operating system is quite similar, like the Unix operating system.
Features of the Linux Operating System
There are various features of the Linux operating system:
- Open Source
- Hierarchical File System
- Open Source: – The Linux operating system is an open-source code. So, anyone can modify the source code of the Linux operating system as per the requirements.
- Portable: – Portability is the wonderful feature of the Linux operating system. The term portability means software is able to work on different kinds of hardware. We can install the Linux application program and Kernel on any hardware.
- Multi-User: – Linux operating system supports multiuser because multiple users can simultaneously use the system resources such as RAM, Memory, Application program, etc.
- Multiprogramming: – Linux operating system is a multiprogramming operating system because, in this, we can run many applications simultaneously.
- Security: – Linux operating system is secured because it offers user security by using authentication features such as password protection/controlled access to particular files or data encryption.
- Shell: – In the Linux operating system, there is a special program called an interpreter. An interpreter is used to execute the commands of the operating system. We can also use this to perform several types of operations, call application program, etc.
- Hierarchical File System: – In the Linux operating system, there is a hierarchical file system in which the user files or system files are organized.
Architecture of the Linux Operating System
There are following layers contained in the architecture of the Linux operating system:
- Hardware Layer: – Hardware layer comprises all the peripheral devices such as CPU, RAM, HDD, etc.
- Kernel: – Kernel is another main component of the operating system. The task performed by the kernel is to interact with the hardware and giving low-level services to the components of the upper layer.
- Shell: – The shell is another layer of the Linux operating system. The main task performed by the shell is to take the commands from the user and then execute the functions of the kernel.
- Utilities: – The fourth layer of the Linux operating system is utility programs. The utility programs offer several functionalities of the operating system.
Advantages of the Linux Operating System
The advantages of the Linux operating system are:
- Linux operating system is an open-source operating system, and anyone who knows programming can modify it.
- If we install the Linux operating system in our system, there is no need for any antivirus because Linux is a secure system.
Components of the Linux Operating System
There are various components of the Linux operating system:
- System Library
- System Utility
- System Library: – System Libraries comprises of programs or functions. By using this, the system utilities or the application utilities can access the features of the kernel.
- System Utility: – With the help of the system utility programs, we can perform the specific individual task.
- Kernel: – Kernel is the main part of the Linux operating system. With the help of kernel, the operating system performs all the key activities. Kernel comprises of several modules.