Advantages and Disadvantages of Fibre Optics Cable
What is Fibre Optics Cable?
A fibre optics cable is made of plastic or fibre, which is used to transmit the data. In fibre optics cable, the data is sent along with a sunshine wave. There are so many advantages of using fibre optics cable. These optical cables are very vulnerable than metal cables to interference. These cables carry information between two places using entirely optical (light-based) technology.
The main disadvantage of fibre optics cable is that it is challenging to repair and install. The signals are transmitted in the form of light through the optical cable. There are three sorts of fibre optic cables which are as follows:
- Single mode fibre optic cable.
- Multimode optical fibre.
- Plastic glass fibre (POF).
1. Single Mode Fibre Optic Cable
The diameter of a single mode fibre optic cable is 8.3 microns. It has only one wavelength, and is the pathway for light to travel through an optical cable.
2. Multimode Optical Fibre
Multimode optic fibre has a greater diameter than single mode fibre optic cable. Multiple data can able to transfer through the multimode optical fibre. There are two sizes of multimode optical fibre available in the market. These two sizes are 50 microns and 62.5 microns.
This cable is used to transfer the data on LAN (Local Area Network). Multimode optical fibre is further divided into two types.
a) Graded-Index Multimode fibre.
b) Step-Index Multimode fibre
3. Plastic Glass Fibre (POF)
Plastic glass fibre (POF) is also known as large core step-index glass fibre. The diameter of this cable is 1mm. It is durable in nature. It is easy to install. It does not require high bandwidth for the transmission of data. It is the best for LAN (Local Area Network). There are some advantages and disadvantages to fibre optic cable.
Advantages of Fibre Optic Cable
- The speed provided by fibre optic cables is very high in comparison to copper twisted pair cables. No wire in the market that competes with fibre optic cable in case of speed.
- The data is transmitted through fibre optic cable in the form of light. So the transmission speed of fibre optic cable is very high. The fibre optic cable can transmit a massive amount of data in a short period of time.
- With the help of fibre optic cable, we can send massive amounts of data to a longer distance.
- The fibre optic cable provides high security to our data. It is possible because the fibre optic cable cannot be connected with other materials.
- In fibre optic cable, the loss of signal is shallow in comparison with regular copper twisted pair cable.
- The fibre optic cable provides high strength in comparison with copper twisted pair cable. It is because it has an equal diameter. Fibre optic cable is more flexible and bends easily.
- Fibre optic cable does not produce electromagnetic energy, so it is extremely hard to tap.
- Fibre optic cable is very cheaper in comparison with copper twisted pair cable.
Disadvantages of fibre optic cable-
- Fibre optic cable is easily destroyed in comparison with copper twisted pair cable. So we need to manage the fibre optic cable carefully.
- When we join the fibre optic cable with another cable, we need a specially trained faculty to join the thread. It is not possible for ordinary people. There is a need for verification and calculation of optical fusion that is only possible by trained people.
- There is a need for so much equipment before the connection of fibre optic cable. To increase the signal quality, we need to install a repeater, transmitter and receiver. In some cases, an amplifier is required when the distance is very long.
- We can check the data transmission rate with the help of special devices.
Fibre optic cable provides a stable, fast and constant internet connection. With the help of fibre optic cable, we can send a massive amount of data transmitted over a long distance. These cables are used in various industries like military, medical, broadcast, communication etc. This cable can perform different work due to its rate of data transmission.