Full Form of B.E.- Bachelors of Engineering
B.E. is the abbreviated form of Bachelors of Engineering. It is a degree course or program for undergraduates in Engineering. Most commonly, the duration of the program is four years.
Bachelor of Engineering can also be abbreviated as B.E. or B.Eng. Or B.A.I. It is a professional degree for undergraduates that are given to the student by completing the program.
This degree is awarded in various countries like the United States of America, the United Kingdom, India, Malaysia, Russia, Australia, and many more countries.
B.E. is a degree that is equal to B.Tech and is offered by various universities and institutes throughout the world, including I.I.T., N.I.T., and many central as well as state universities. Bachelors of Engineering is offered in various disciplines like Computers, Electronics, Information Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Civil, Mining, Automobile, etc.
The B.E. degree is said to have more emphasis on subjects like Maths and science and also permits the engineers to easily change or transit from one discipline to another. Some fields like Marine Engineering often require multiple disciplines.
A Bachelor of Engineering degree can be taken in one of the several fields. Some of the most common discipline or fields of Bachelor of Engineering are;
- Architectural Engineering, Computer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Engineering Management, Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Clean Technology, Agricultural Engineering, Biological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Integrated Engineering, Leather Engineering, Fire Protection Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Marine Engineering, Material Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Software Engineering, Plastic Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, System Engineering and many more.
- Most of these degrees can be achieved in four years, but there can be slight variation in the duration of the course depending on the country. In some places, it can be of 3-5 years. There can also be variations in the modules, names, and degree or field names.
Bachelors of Engineering in India
- In India, Bachelors of Engineering is known to be a professional program that is given to the students after successfully completing the degree or the study of four years. In India, the ideal duration of the course is of four years.
- It is important to note that various Indian universities provide the study of engineering under the degree of Bachelor Of Technology, i.e., B.Tech rather than B.E.
- Renowned institutes of India like I.I.T. (Indian Institute of Technology) and N.I.T. (National Insititute of Technology also provide the degree of Engineering in the name of B.Tech and not B.E.
- But it is important to note that irrespective of the name of the course, the curriculum remains the basic or the standard that is often provided by the U.G.C. or AICTE, or N.B.A.
- There is hardly any variation in the curriculum, modules, or objectives between B.E. or B.Tech.
- In both, the course, mostly the first year of the study, includes two semesters, which includes the same subjects and the initial semesters are common or the same for all the disciplines.
- It is often after the first year that the course of the degree becomes specific to the field like Civil Engineering, Information Technology, Petroleum, Biochemical, Agricultural, Computer Science or Electrical or any other depending on the choice of the subject.
Eligibility for the Bachelor of Engineering
If any candidate wishes or desired to take up the course in Indian, then there are certain criteria that are required to be fulfilled;
- The candidate should have successfully completed his or her 12th grade from any recognised board provided the candidate's main subjects were Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. Also, a certain percentage range needs to be there.
- Moreover, the candidate is also required to pass the necessary or mandatory entrance exams to get admission to the course or grab a seat in their favourite college or university.
Colleges or Universities for B.E.
Most prestigious colleges or universities offering the degree of Bachelor of Engineering in India are;
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi; Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur; Indian Institute of Technology, Madras; Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur; Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad; Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (Mumbai); Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi; Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad; Army Institute of Technology, Pune
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University College of Engineering, Pune; Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
Some of the Popular B.E. Entrance Exams are;
- Delhi University Combined Entrance Examination (DUCEE)
- Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (BCECE);
- Common Entrance Test (C.E.T.)
- Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Indian Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE)
- Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination (UPSEE)
- All India Engineering/Pharmacy/Architecture Entrance Examination (AIEEE)
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
Fees or Charges:
The standard fee for the course of B.E. ranges from 3-8 lakh or 50k – 1.25 Lakh Annually, depending on the college or university.