KFC Full Form: You might have heard the slogans ‘It’s Finger-Lickin’ Good’ or ‘So Good’. Yes, we are talking about KFC. We are all aware of the KFC restaurant. It is the favourite food junction of youngsters. But only knowing KFC as a restaurant is not enough. We must know some points about KFC. Well, KFC stands for Kentucky Fried Chicken. KFC is an American fast-food chain that had been opened in India some years back. The restaurant has its headquarters in Kentucky. Kentucky is famous for its fried chicken; hence the name. KFC is the second largest food chain in the world; McDonald’s being the first. KFC is owned by Yum! Brands Company. This company also owns some of the successful food chains like Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, etc.
Well, let us see some amazing facts about this restaurant.
- KFC was first founded by Harland Sanders and Pete Harman who had Sander’s Court and Café.
- KFC started selling its famous Fried Chicken in 1930 (around 90 years ago) in Kentucky.
- The first franchise was opened on 24th September 1952 (68 years ago) in Utah.
- Harland began selling fried chicken on the streets during the Great Depression.
KFC has come a long way by bringing fried chicken to the forefront when the market had the established dominance of burgers (Hamburger). Harland made himself a brand and became a part of American History. The logo that we see with the brand is none other than Harland. The restaurant chain had a rapid expansion which was finally sold to John Brown and Jack Massey.
Apart from McDonald’s, KFC was one of the fast-food chains to have opened internationally. The outlets for the same were opened in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, India, etc. Now, KFC is popular for selling fried chicken which had 11 kinds of spices and herbs mixed. These spices and herbs are a trade secret. This is called the Sanders Recipe/ Original Recipe (as called by Sanders). Sanders was always particular about chicken. He refused to deep fry the chicken because he didn’t wanted to lower the quality of the food that he was offering. He wanted just fry the chicken so that the crunchiness remained. Therefore, when pressure cookers were first introduced, he transformed them into pressure fryers that were used to fry chicken. Thus, Pan-fried chicken was introduced by Sanders wherein the quality of the product offered was retained.
Now, let us look at some of the places where KFC has opened outlets and is operating freely.
- KFC is headquartered in Kentucky where it is a three-storey building known as the ‘White House’ (colloquial name).
- KFC had made sales of $23 billion in the year 2013.
- A total of around 19,000 outlets (as in 2013) were there under KFC in 2013 wherein 4,500 outlets were in China, 5,491 outlets in the United States, and 10,000 across the world including Canada, Mexico, India, Malaysia, Cambodia, Europe, Africa, etc.
- Out of all these outlets, 11% of them are operated by franchise owners.
- The annual sale of KFC is $1.2 million (as in 2013).
Well, it is important to note that KFC delivers a limited amount of food in small markets. Now, let us look at some of the dishes served by KFC. We know that KFC offers fried chicken with a secret recipe. This is the primary dish. The side dishes include:
- Caesar Salad
- Garden Salad
- Mashed Potato
- Bread Roll
- Baked Beans
These are some of the products offered by KFC. The CEO of KFC (India) as of now is Mukesh Pant. Well, it is interesting to note that the chicken used by the KFC is steroids free. Nothing additional is added to the chicken. The chicken is fresh that is raised on the farms. The chicken does not have any added food colors or dies.
KFC is one of the best fast food points in the world. The product offered is fresh and tasty. KFC offers the best-fried chicken and is the second-largest restaurant chain after McDonald’s. If we look closely at the history, we can say that KFC has come a long way thereby providing services to its customers and satisfying them.