Full Form of OTT
Digitization has shaped the consumer behavior of storing, accessing, and using the data. With the invention of the latest technology named OTT, it has become flexible to interact and gain entertainment services with the ease of time, place, access, competitive pricing. OTT is very popular among millennials, yet we are not aware of its full form.
The full form of the abbreviation OTT is “Over the Top”.
This tutorial will briefly cover the meaning, advantages, types of OTT content and other detailed information related to OTT or Over the top service.
What is OTT?
“OTT or Over the top is a streaming platform that provides video and audio streaming of content (television and film content) via the internet at the users' request and individual requirements. It has bypassed the need of cable operators, set-up boxes, dish antennas, satellite connection, or various broadcast mediums."
OTT platforms/streaming channels deliver a broad array of services that require data and internet connection. It includes Subscription-based video (also known as SVoD) services or streaming television like Hotstar, Netflix, Amazon Prime, to OTT messaging as well as OTT voice calling, also called VoIP (voice over internet protocol) such as WhatsApp, Hike, BOTIM, telegram, skype, and many other similar services. It also comprises several audio streaming platforms like WYNK, Spotify, Ganna, JioSaavn, etc. The substantial growth of OTT platforms over the year is one of the examples of its massive popularity. OTT has realized the changing behaviors and the expectations of millennials. Thereby, there is an overall transition of the majority of people from Television to OTT only because it offers flexibility and is very convenient. Thereby OTT platforms have reached the summit of fame and popularity and have witnessed substantial growth n India as well as in other parts of the world over the year. They are on their journey to replace cable and satellite pay-TV completely.
The OTTs initially started as the content hosting platforms, but soon dived into making originals of their own. OTT contents/services can be accessed using any internet connection and a compatible hardware component, unlike smartphones or tablets, roku, smart Television, set-top boxes, iPad, smart Watch, desktop, and laptop. With the definite rise in OTT Media Platforms' subscriptions, OTT can be seen as future platform advertising platforms and campaigns.
Advantages of OTT
The various advantages of ‘OTT’ or ‘Over the Top’ media services are as follows:
- Easy to Access: The users can easily access the OTT content. All they require is a stable internet or Wi-Fi and a smart internet-enabled device, unlike a smartphone, PC, smart TV, etc.
- Stream variety of contents: With the introduction of OTT streaming video dispatch technology, users have variety of choices to watch and get entertained.
- Stream multiple channels: OTT has enabled the facility to watch different content on multiple platforms, unlike Roku, computers, desktops, laptops, tablets, mobile phones, smart TVs, gaming consoles.
- App switching: OTT empowers the possibility of accessing multiple dispensers for specific programs and seeing channels by “app switching,” proffering them more authority over the content they want to purchase and watch.
- Replaced the Limitations of cables & set-up box: OTT video streaming technology bypasses the limitations of the sole operator set-top box (STB) technology drawn by IPTV. All the OTT contents are published upon user’s request.
- Cost effective: OTT platform are cheaper when compared to D2H connections.
- Renders unicast stream: OTT provides one stream per device. It is thereby delivering a “unicast” stream where each associated device has a unique connection with the content source through the internet.
- Commercial free: The prime advantage of viewing OTT content is that the user can watch their desired content continually without the disturbance of any commercial breaks. In 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most of the producers have released their movies on different OTT platforms and have earned huge appreciations and profits worldwide.
Types of content
- OTT television
OTT television is the most popular content service provider. In this, the content is delivered via app or OTT dongle or box, connected to the internet-enabled phone, PC, or smart TV. It is also known as online television, internet television, or streaming television.
Examples: Hotstar, Voot, SonyLiv, Netflix, amazon prime, etc.
- OTT messaging
As the name suggests, it is an instant messaging service or online chat supported on Internet-connected smartphones presented by third-party apps. This technology is a replacement for text messaging services or phone SMS or rendered by a mobile network operator.
Examples: Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype, Instagram, FaceTime, IMO, Viber, WeChat, Google Meet, etc.
- OTT voice
OTT voice calling provide the services to carry calls with the help of open internet communication protocols. This technology will bypass or enhance the present operator-controlled services provided by different phone operators. OTT voice is also known as VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol)
Examples: WhatsApp, Zoom, Skype, WeChat, Viber, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions/ FAQ’s
Question 1: Name the top 10 OTT platforms available in India.
Answer: The top 10 OTT platforms are as follows:
- Amazon Prime Video
- Disney + Hotstar
- Sony LIV
- MX Player
- ALT Balaji
- Eros Now
Question 2: Do OTT media services are free of cost?
Answer: OTT media service is not for free. Unlike cable connections, the users need to pay some amount monthly or buy a subscription annually to watch the entertainment content for a definite time.