Full Form of BHMS
1. BHMS- Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery
BHMS is the abbreviated form of Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery. It is a medical degree awarded to undergraduates after completion of the study in the field of homeopathy.
Homeopathy refers to the medical system that helps in curing the body only by adjusting, modifying, or improving the natural system of healing of the human anatomy.
BHMS is a medical degree that is awarded to the candidate after successfully completing the homeopathic medical knowledge. The course is usually of five and a half years and majorly involves the research of 4.5 years which is followed by the internship of one year.
This undergraduate course in homeopathy can also be pursued through distance education. Soon after completing the degree or the course, the candidate is qualified to be a doctor in the field of homeopathy.
Homeopathy is a medical system that originated or came in the year of 1796. The founder of the study was Samuel Hahnemann. The basis of the field of this study is based on the principle is that the substances that are usually responsible for the disease in the body of the healthy person can normally be used to treat or cure similar symptoms or diseases in the body of the sick person.
So mostly, the treatment that is given by the students or the graduates after achieving the BHMS degree is natural and free from most of the side effects. This is one of the significant advantages and one of the sole reasons why students wish to pursue this course or degree.
Essential Skills for BHMS Course
Some of the essential skills required by the candidate to pursue the BHMS course are;
1. A candidate should be keen interest in the subject and have an interest in curing ailments through homeopathic remedies.
2. A candidate to be a successful homeopathic doctor requires to have the power or the ability to observe the patient and have a helpful attitude to help the patient.
3. A candidate should also have good communication and analytical skills along with confidence and belief in the study.
4. A candidate also should have the ability to work and serve the people even in complicated or pressurised situations.
Specialization in BHMS
A candidate who desires to be a BHMS doctor has various options or choices. Some of the major choices available to the candidate of BHMS are Infertility, skin speciality, pediatrics, etc. It is very essential to be careful in the choice or the decision as it will affect the future career of the applicant or the candidate.
Eligibility to pursue BHMS
There are specific criteria or requirements that are essential for the candidate to pursue the degree of BHMS
1. The applicant should have successfully completed the 12th level of education from a recognised university.
2.A candidate should have secured a minimum score of 50% in the 12th class.
3. The candidate should have opted and studies subjects like Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and English in the school.
4. Minimum age that is required by the applicant is of seventeen years.
Admission and Entrance Examinations
The candidate can take up the BHMS course in any of the leading university or institute after clearing the entrance examinations. The candidate is required to pass or clear the entrance exam.
- The candidates who achieve a minimum score are called for a group discussion followed by a personal interview.
- It is on this basis the ability, skills, and capability of the candidate are measured, and the applicant becomes eligible to grab the seat.
- Once a candidate has successfully completed the process can move ahead with the counselling sessions and take up the course.
The entrance exams which are available for the BHMS course are NEET, UP BHMS, TC EAMCET, PU CET, KEAM, etc.
While filling the form for the entrance exam, a draft of the fixed amount also needs to be submitted.
Colleges or Institutes to pursue BHMS course
There are various institutes that offer the degree or the course, including
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune;
- Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College, New Delhi;
- Dr. D Y Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune;
- Bakson Homeopathy Medical College and Hospital, Greater Noida;
- Calcutta Homeopathic Medical College, Calcutta;
- Venkateswara Homoeopathy Medical College and Hospital, Chennai;
- Parul University, Vadodara; RKDF University, Bhopal
Career Post BHMS degree
Graduates or candidates who have pursued a BHMS degree can easily find a job either in;
- A private or government hospital, pharmaceutical company, NGO, research lab.
- He or she can pursue their career and can be a homeopathic consultant, research associate, quality control officer, pharmacist, insurance officer, etc.
- Some applicants who wish to pursue a higher degree in Homeopathy research or other areas can also go for that.
- Some of the curriculums for the same are M.Sc. in Psychiatry; MD in Homeopathy; Masters in Hospital Management; M.Sc. in Epidemiology; MD in Endocrinology.