BDO- Block Development Officer
BDO stands for Block Development Officer. BDO is the designation of the officer in charge of various matters, activities, and development of the division or the block, which is also known as the district subdivision.
Block Development Officer has the responsibility to overlook, monitor, and assess the implementation of all the programs that are related to the planning and development of the block or the division. A block is the sub-division district that has the responsibility for the development of rural departments and the institutes of Panchayati Raj.
For efficient planning, a district is usually divided into four levels, namely Tehsils, Blocks, Gram Panchayat, and Villages. A block is usually an area that is compact and has efficient plans whose preparation and implementation is usually done through the Gram Panchayats.
For example, Muzaffarnagar District of UP has 9 blocks; some of these are Baghra, Budhana, Muzaffarnagar, etc.
A BDO has the duty or the responsibility to monitor or overlook that all the plans, programmes are agreed, approved by the authorities, and also has the duty to see that all these plans, programmes are executed effectively and adequately.
A Block Development Officer also makes sure and even authenticates all the documents, papers, letters, and even signs all the documents, papers, contracts on behalf of the Panchayat Samiti pertaining they have been priorly agreed upon and approved by the relevant authority.
Apart from this, BDO also plays a crucial role in inspecting the finances or the financial position of the Panchayaton behalf of the Panchayat Samiti. The documents that are taken care of by BDO are especially in the regard of loan recovery, levy of the taxes, in regard of regular maintenance of the accounts.
A BDO has the liability for all the activities that are crucial for the development of the block and those that are not undertaken by the departments like PHE, Forest, PWD, health, etc.
Chief Development Officer or the CDO has the responsibility of assessing, evaluating the coordination of development, implementation of the plans in the blocks.
The office ofBDO is the main or the primary wing of the government where the development, regulatory administration is done.
Power, Functions, and Role of the BDO
As a Chief Executive Officer;
- BDO has the power and authority to see the plan and programmes approved by authorities.
- BDO has the power to sign contracts, authenticate all the documents on behalf of Panchayat Samiti
- BDO also has the power to draw, disburse finances out of the Panchayat Samiti Fund and take appropriate steps to remove irregularities in the account, if any.
- He has the power to inspect and evaluate the financial position of the panchayats and also helps them come up with plans and see that the plans laid are as per the norms and standards and completed within time.
As head of Block Office
- As the head, BDO has the power as well as the responsibility to supervise, control the officers and other employees of the Panchayat Samiti.
- Also he has the role to make and plan the annual budget and put it in front of Panchayat Samiti and also prepares annual and quarterly reports for clear depiction of progress, and even forwards the reports to the state government and Zila Parishad.
- He has the responsibility to report all the frauds, theft, loss of the Panchayat Samiti without any ado.
As a Secretary
He has the responsibility to issue notice for the meetings of the Panchayat Samiti and even attend all meetings or authorise a senior officer – but lower to his position to attend these meetings on his behalf. He has the role of getting the minutes of the meeting recorded and then circulating them.
- In case of an emergency situation like a flood, epidemic BDO with his team carries out the execution of the plan and reports the same to the relevant authority.
- BDO is mostly experienced, knowledgeable and has legal, financial, and administrative knowledge, so he is capable and fit for any advice. His advices are crucial during such times.
The applicant who wishes to become BDO or the Block Development Officer needs to full fill some criteria to be eligible. This includes;
- Bachelors Degree in the relevant field mostly in science, arts or commerce from a recognized university
- The applicant should be of age 21-35 years
- These make him eligible for the exam.