NTPC Full Form
Many of us might not know what NTPC stands for. So, let us begin with the topic. The full form of NTPC is National Thermal Power Corporation Limited. The Government of India owns NTPC, and it is a public sector undertaking. The main aim of NTPC is to generate electricity and undertake various other related activities. NTPC is a full-fledged company that has been registered under the Company Act of 1956. Now, what is the Company Act of 1956? The Company Act emphasizes that the company must begin their production only after registering themselves. A company must follow a set of rules and adhere to its responsibilities. The Directors and Secretaries have to make sure that the production is carried out smoothly and efficiently.
The main business of NTPC is to generate and supply electricity to the electric boards in India. The other projects of NTPC include project management, engineering, power plant management, management of construction, etc. There are other activities as well that are undertaken by the NTPC. For, instance NTPC has ventured into coal mining and gas exploration activities. According to the reports, NTPC is the largest company in India in terms of generating electricity. NTPC has the largest power generating capacity. NTPC has produced up to 62,000 MW of electricity. There are around 55-60 stations operated by NTPC. Out of these stations, 24 are coal stations, seven are fuel stations, one wind station, two hydro stations, and eleven solar projects. Now, let us look at some historical points regarding the NTPC.
- The Nation Thermal Power Corporation Limited was established in 1975.
- The first project was known as NTPC Singrauli. The project began in Uttar Pradesh.
- In the year 1983, NTPC yielded a profit of Rs 4.5 Crores. The power capacity of NTPC was 2000 MW in the year 1986. In the year 1986, NTPC completed its first project.
- In the year 1995, NTPC took over a station from the Orissa Electricity Board. In 1998, NTPC generated 100 billion units of electricity. It was a milestone in the history of generating electricity.
- The NTPC constructed the first hydropower plant in the year 2000. This hydropower plant held a capacity of 800 MW.
- This hydropower plant was constructed in Himachal Pradesh.
- NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam and NTPC Hydro Limited were the two subsidiaries of NTPC that were opened in 2002. At that time, the share price of NTPC was Rs. 62 per share. National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange; listed the company, and the share price rose to Rs. 75 per share.
- In the year 2008, NTPC joined its hands with companies like BHEL, Bharat Forge, NHPC, NPCIL, etc.
- The NTPC received the ICSI award in the year 2009 for its contribution to Corporate Governance.
These are some points regarding the NTPC. It is interesting to note that NTPC operates in around 70 locations, including Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Now, what are the future goals of the company? NTPC is now emphasizing the renewable energy and capacity mix. The company, in the next five years, will also be having 10000 MW of solar capacity. NTPC has been trying to generate electricity globally. According to some sources, NTPC is trying to venture with Bangladesh and Sri Lanka’s electricity boards. Pakri Barwadih, Chatti Bariatu, etc., are some of the coal blocks of NTPC. Today Pakri Barwadih is the only block under NTPC as the Government of India cancelled the other blocks. Banhardih and Mandakini – II are the future blocks that will be allotted to NTPC to carry out its production.
Now, let us talk about some facts. The National Thermal Power Limited has around 24,000 employees. NTPC is being rewarded continuously by the Government of India for its tremendous contribution under the PSU undertaking. NTPC is the second largest thermal power station that is generating electricity through its power stations.
The National Thermal Power Corporation Limited is a company that is generating electricity since 1975. It has been owned by the Government of India and is a public sector undertaking. According to Forbes Magazine, NTPC has been ranked among the 400th power generating stations. NTPC has the responsibility of providing electricity to the electricity boards across India. Over the years, NTPC has contributed to the growth of the nation in terms of power supply. Thus, NTPC is one of India’s largest power corporations, thereby, generating and supplying electricity in India.