Java Code Coverage Tools
Code coverage testing is a crucial metric that gauges how thoroughly the program's source code has been tested. The market is flooded with Code Coverage Tools, making it difficult to choose one for your project.
The collection of top hand-picked Code Coverage testing tools with well-liked functions and up-to-date download links is provided below.
One can determine the amount of code tested while running tests by using the code coverage tools. Code coverage essentially informs us of the percentage of the source code that a given set of test cases covers. It is crucial to measure this to keep the quality of QA efforts consistent.
When performing tests, code coverage is calculated as a percentage of the lines that were executed out of all the lines of code.
Writing test cases should consider all the criteria for maximum code coverage, including all statements, functions, conditions, pathways, decisions, loops, parameter values, entry criteria, and exit criteria.To measure code coverage, there are many tools available. In this essay, let's go into greater detail about a few of them.
One of the well-known open-source code coverage tools is Cobertura. You can use Maven, Ant, or the Cobertura CLI to carry out tasks. You can integrate many QA tools.
Features of the cobertura:
- It is one of the greatest Java code coverage tools.
- allowing you to determine which areas of your Java programme lack test coverage without access to the source code.
- enables you to display reports in XML and HTML formats.
- Aids in testing the class's and method's lines and branches
Download link: https://cobertura.github.io/cobertura/
Another helpful code coverage tool is coverage.py. It is one of the greatest test coverage tools available for monitoring Python applications and recording the execution of specific code segments.
- Coverage.py enables you to use the configuration file to tell it which source files to examine.
- You can use it to locate code that could have been run but wasn't by analysing the source code.
Download link: https://coverage.readthedocs.io/en/6.0/
A free Java code coverage tool known as JaCoCo is made available under the Eclipse Public License. The EclEmma has created an open-source, free code coverage tool for Java.
- JaCoCo provides guidance, line, and branch coverage.
- One of the greatest Java code coverage tools, it helps you examine lines and branches of classes and methods and supports Java 7 and Java 8.
- Provides an easy-to-use HTML or XML report
Download link: https://www.eclemma.org/jacoco/
The OpenClover tool collects over 20 code metrics and assists you in measuring code coverage for Java and Groovy. You can use it to show off parts of your application that haven't been tested. One of the best test coverage tools, it enables you to combine metrics and coverage to identify the code that poses the greatest risk.
Features of Openclover:
- It facilitates speedier test execution.
- enables you to concentrate on test-related tasks.
- supports both branch and statement coverage.
- Enables you to create XML-based reports that, when paired with ReportGenerator, create TML-based coverage reports.
- Aids in maintaining a balance between applications and testing.
Download link: http://openclover.org/
5) Bullseye Coverage
You can find out how much of your source code has been tested with the code coverage tool BullseyeCoverage, which is available for C++ and C. You can perform unit testing, integration testing, and final release with this programme.
Bullseye Coverage Features:
- It is one of the greatest test coverage tools.
- allowing for improved C++ code coverage assessment, and it saves time by helping you write more reliable code.
- Let’s you include or omit any part of the project code.
- Combine the outcomes of scattered testing
Download link: http://www.bullseye.com/
One of the more sophisticated code coverage tools for.Net programmes and apps is NCover. Both statement coverage and branch coverage are supported by it. This code coverage tool is offered under both a commercial licence and an open-source licence.
Features of NCover:
- NET code coverage based on your specific requirements.
- Provides comprehensive and centralised coverage data.
- enables you to test, monitor, and manage a single coverage number across whole teams.
- It is one of the top c# code coverage tools that enables you to do manual and coverage tests.
- It is one of the.net code coverage tools that provides thorough documentation and user support.
- Bring products to market more quickly and with assurance in agile environments.
Download link: http://www.ncover.com/
7) Vector Software
You can use VectorCAST to set up standardised procedures for controlling test operations and reporting important quality indicators. A cost-effective method for unit testing, regression management, and code coverage analysis is provided by this software testing application.
Features of Vector Software:
- System test automation.
- quality trend and change impact analysis.
- simple test collaboration
- enables parallel testing.
- offers a quality dashboard on the web
Download link: https://www.vector.com/in/en/products/products-a-z/software/vectorcast/
8) Devel: Cover
Devel cover provides Perl testing metrics for code coverage. You can find sections of code that aren't being used by your tests with the use of this code cover tool. You can create more tests this way to expand coverage.
Features of Devel:
- Provides a few reports, including text reports and several HTML output kinds.
- Information about statement, branch, condition, subroutine, and pod coverage is reported.
Download link: https://metacpan.org/release/PJCJ/Devel-Cover-1.23
A code coverage and.NET unit test runner, dotCover is offered by JetBrains. It is one of the greatest c# code coverage tools that you can connect with Visual Studio's Jet Brains Rider. Additionally, .NET, Silverlight, or.NET Core apps support reporting statement-level code coverage.
- enables you to view code coverage based on your company's requirements.
- One of the best.NET code coverage tools.
- it offers a console utility for usage with a server for continuous integration.
- It also enables you to tailor your study of coverage with a coverage filter.
- Enables you to quickly determine which unit tests apply to a specific statement.
Download link: https://www.jetbrains.com/dotcover/
The Visual Studio code coverage function aids in identifying the areas of your project's code that have undergone coding-based testing, such as unit tests. You can view the previous set of results using the tool.
Features of Visual Studio:
- Enables you to view a previous set of results.
- Exports results as text so you can read them easily.
- Enables you to combine the results of multiple run
- Enables you to export Code Coverage Results in order to save merging operation results
Features of Istanbul:
- which provides both terminal and HTML output.
- Support for utilising the NYC command-line interface to instrument subprocesses.
Download link: https://istanbul.js.org/
12) Parasoft JTest
One of the items in the Parasoft testing tool collection is Parasoft Jtest.
Jtest enables you to expedite the development of Java-based applications while posing the least amount of risk possible. Unit tests and code coverage are linked with manual and automated testing using it. Its report gives a clear image of the code covered and reduces risk as a result.
- It is a multi-tasking tool that can perform data flow analysis.
- unit testing, static analysis, runtime error detection, code coverage testing, and other tasks on Java-based applications.
- It may get coverage from many testing techniques and frameworks.
- Its high-quality reporting and analysis include traceability and code-change based testing details.
- It can be used with CI systems.
- It can be used in command line mode, eclipse-based GUI, or with CI systems.
License Type: Proprietary commercial software
Official URL: Parasoft JTest
Pros and cons:
- It is a good tool for the best quality product with a versatile solution for minimising time and risks.
- The reports and analyses are very simple to grasp, and they cover all major components of quality. However, it is extremely expensive to use.
- The most recent release was 10.3.3 on November 7, 2017.
Code execution is ensured as much as feasible while test suites are running by using code coverage, which prompts the inclusion of new test cases. In fact, this is beneficial for efficient regression testing.
Tools for measuring code coverage are only utilised when tests are being run.
Also read =>> The best tools for code quality
100% code coverage is extremely uncommon, and even a 100% code coverage does not guarantee 100% quality testing. Even if you accomplish 100% code coverage, you might not have included all of the necessary test cases. Instead of using the standard code coverage, one should use mutation testing to achieve a higher level of effective testing.