Webcam is a peripheral digital camera that can be attached to the device, which allows you to click photos and record videos directly on the system. There is various webcam available on the market. The user is required to install dedicated software responsible for establishing the connection of the webcam to the system. The user can use the webcam to share the video over the internet and attend video conferences.
It enables the user to use video calling applications over personal computers, such as Skype. The user can also share their live videos; the new webcam enables the user to record high-definition videos in the system. The webcam captures photos as an input device which are then sent to the servers from where they are forwarded to the hosting site. The modern webcam is attached to the system using USB ports. The new versions of monitors and laptops have inbuilt webcams generally embedded on the top of the screen.
Characteristics of a webcam
- Webcams are cost-effective. They are cheap when compared to other models of the camera.
- The resolution of the photos or videos is comparatively less than most of the camera’s handheld cameras available on the market.
- The features provided by the webcam vary from system to system. It is dependent on the operating system and the processor of the system.
- Moreover, it depends on the software used to operate the webcam. It is an extremely useful device as it allows users to perform advanced tasks such as motion sensing, image archiving, and automation.
- They are used in various systems to run image recognition or face detection software. They are used extensively for security and surveillance.
- Furthermore, during the covid pandemic, webcams were extensively used to organize various meetings; they enabled the institutions to carry out examinations from home. They are used to verify the identity of persons in the examination centers.
Types of a Webcam
There are various webcams available in the market. Some of the webcams are mentioned below:
- Integrated webcam: Most latest versions of laptops, handheld personal computers, and Macbooks have in-built webcams. They are generally located on the top of the screen. In some older models of Dell personal computers, the camera was located at the bottom of the screen. These webcams enable the user to click photos or record videos. The user does not require to additionally download any software for using in-built webcams. The user can capture low pixels images using the software. The user can perform video calls on these systems. It saves space and reduces the need for multiple USB ports. It provides a compact design to the system. It is easy to use as no additional external device is required.
- Standalone Webcam: These webcams are most commonly used with systems that do not have a built-in webcam. They constitute a lens and a click or a stand to support the camera. The camera is attached with a cable that can be attached to the system; it is used to transfer the data between the webcam and the system. The user is required to install additional software to use a standalone webcam. It allows the user to click high-definition images. There are various variants of standalone webcams available in the market. The user can select any depending upon the user's purpose and budget.
- Network Cameras: They can perform all the functions provided by a conventional webcam. The only difference in a network camera is that it uses an Ethernet cable or Wireless network for transmitting the data. At the same time, a conventional webcam is attached to the system using USB cables. This allows the webcam to directly transfer the data on a network. Therefore, they are used extensively in closed circuit televisions where the live feed is shared over a network. This makes it the most suitable for online video conferencing. Although the cost of a network camera is comparatively less than a webcam, they require a high-speed network connection to work properly.
- Webcams with Microphones: These webcams do not require a microphone as they have an in-built microphone. This reduces the need for an additional peripheral device. The user should avoid using them when using the speakers as the sound from the speaker can interfere with the microphone's input. Therefore, they are not very effective for two-way communications. Moreover, they also require space for power devices.
Features of Webcam
There are various models of webcam available on the market. They come in various sizes, shapes, and specifications, depending on their purpose. The price of the webcam depends on all these features.
Digital images constitute various small dots of colors. They are tightly bonded together to form an image. To produce bright images using the webcam, the user needs to ensure that the pixels of the webcam is as high as possible. The webcams provide a wide range of pixels displayed. Generally, the webcam provides 320X240 or 640X480 pixels, but the latest webcam's specifications go as high as 1280X720 pixels. They allow the user to capture or record high-definition graphic content.
The megapixels of a webcam determine the brightness and color definition of the image. The frame rate is a term that is used for video-graphic content. It refers to the quality of the video. It decides the ability of the webcam to display images per second. It decides the number of images displayed every second in video graphic content. The quality of the video increases with the increase in the frame rate. The webcam should at least be able to display 30 images per second for a sound video. If the frame rate is less than this, then there will be inconsistency in the video that is being recorded. The frame rate goes as high as 60fps. These webcams allow users to record high-quality, smooth videos without any discrepancy.
The lens is a major component of the webcam as it directly affects the quality of the captured photos or videos. Therefore it is very important to use the right lens on the webcam. Usually, a webcam lens is made up of either glass or plastic. The webcam equipped with a plastic lens is comparatively cheaper than those equipped with a glass lens. The quality of the image or video significantly increases by changing the lens from plastic to glass. So, if the user needs to record high-definition videos, it is recommended to invest in glass lens webcams.
This is a feature available in selected webcams. While recording a video or clicking a photo, there can be many elements in the background. These features enable the webcam to focus on a specific element. However, this function can increase the time required to capture the photo. This slows the functioning of the webcam.
Low Light Quality
Suppose the user wants to capture photos or record videos in low light, that is, during evening time or in poor light conditions. Some webcams provide a special mode that enables the user to capture clear images in dim light. Some webcams of Logitech provide the Right Light feature that improves the quality of images.
They determine the display quality of the image or the video. Almost all the latest models of the webcam support 720p and 1080p high-definition quality but some expensive webcams enable the user to record 4k videos. Any webcam with a 1.3 to 2-megapixel resolution lets the user record a clear video or click clear images without overdoing the resolution.
Application of webcam
Webcams are widely used in various fields. They are used to capture photos and videos. This device is very useful as it can be directly connected to the system and store the images and videos directly in the computer's main memory. Some of the applications of the webcam are given below:
Security and Surveillance: Webcams are installed in various corporate buildings and households. They are used in stores, shopping malls, offices, railway stations, airports, etc. It enables the user to track the motion of people and goods. They are used to monitor unauthorized people. They increase security as the user can keep a check on suspicious activities.
Banking Sectors: Webcams are used in banking sectors for various purposes. They are used for monitoring and surveillance in the banks. All the bank sections can be monitored from a single room using webcams. In banks, the surveillance feed is directly connected to the main servers, and the video recording can be accessed to investigate in the future. It helps to keep a check on suspicious activities. The user can alert the whole bank in case of any suspicious activity.
Video Calling: This is the most common use of webcams. The webcam can be attached to any system to perform video calls across the globe. The user can share the live video using webcams. The webcam enables the user to share his/her video while performing a call. This feature was especially useful during the pandemic as a real meeting was impossible. The users were able to communicate from their houses and organize meetings to perform the tasks. It enabled various organizations to conduct proctored examinations.
Robotic technology: Webcams make sixth-generation computers and artificially intelligent robots. Certain situations are too dangerous to be resolved by a person. In such places, we use robots that can be handled using remotes. The robot's view is recorded using webcams displayed on the screen of the user. The data that is recorded is sent to the main server. The user can accordingly operate the robots.
Home Security Systems: The webcams can be installed in households. They are an important part of the home security systems. The user can monitor from anywhere. They can install the webcam at the entrance of the houses to keep a check on the gate and surroundings. Expensive home security systems have webcams from which the user can detect the motion at night. The user can activate this home when not at home; the alarm will ring if any motion is detected.
Input and Output Devices: Certain I/O devices require webcams to control various applications and games. They can be used to stream live on YouTube. In certain applications, webcams are used to track the movement of objects. They can be used to determine the object, shape, and colors. They are used to make gadgets for the blind that can tell the person what lies ahead of them to avoid accidents.
Roads and Parking Area: Aside from security, the webcams are also attached to the back of the car to provide a clear view to the driver without actually seeing back. They can be used to detect traffic situations. The webcams are installed on the roads for surveillance. They are attached to the traffic lights in case of any violation of the traffic rules; they capture the offender's photo, and by using various algorithms, they can identify the number plate of the vehicle.
Working of a Webcam
- The working of a webcam is somewhat similar to that of a digital camera. It is a peripheral device that can be connected to your system. It enables the user to click images or record videos. Still, this camera allows the user to connect to the system and facilitates communication with the internet. The feed from this camera can be directly shared to the internet, which was not possible in the case of the handheld digital camera. The user can broadcast live videos or photos over the internet using a webcam. It uses a grid of light decoders responsible for converting the captured image or video into a digital signal that the computer can directly access using the software. This grid is called a charge-coupled device.
- There is no storage available in the webcam; therefore, it cannot store images and video files in the webcam. Thus, the images clicked using a webcam are directly transmitted to the device through USB.
- Any standard webcam performs two functions:
- The primary function of the webcam is to capture photos or record videos.
- The secondary function is to transmit these photos and videos to the device it is connected to.
- The webcam interacts with the system by using the dedicated software required by the webcam to communicate and transmit the data to the system.
- The software can provide additional features to the user, such as enabling the user to edit the images. The user can also set a duration for the video to be recorded. It ensures that the photos clicked by the webcam are converted into digital data and sent to the system after every fixed interval of time. It is the responsibility of the software to convert those digital signals back into a JPEG file. Finally, the image file is transmitted over the internet. The software uses the file transfer protocol to transfer the image or video files to a web page. To upload the captured photos or videos, the user must perform certain configurations manually before using the webcam.
History of the Webcam
Though the webcam is most commonly used for communication between two-person people, the device was not designed for this purpose only. It went through various development stages. The stages are:
Researchers at Cambridge University developed the webcam. The research objective was to find a way to remotely monitor the coffee pot. They then developed a webcam to monitor the pot from a remote location. They began by training a digital camera and attached the system with the computer. They could see the live feed from the camera in the system. They used specialized software to view the images from the camera in the system.
Once they could capture the image from the camera and view it on the system, they upgraded it by updating the images captured on the internet. The first webcam was developed in the process. They also developed a protocol that allowed the user to make a remote procedure call. The procedure for performing the call was known as MSRPC2. This protocol was developed over a multi-service network layer protocol. They are implemented in various devices such as ATMs. The researchers at Cambridge University implemented this protocol along with the system video capture board. This enabled them to remotely monitor the coffee pot by viewing the feed on the web. The webcam developed was able to upload one frame per sec.
The webcam developed by the researchers at Cambridge University they were designed for research. The model enabled them to remotely view the coffee put but that was not developed to use by the public as the design was very crude and the development cost was very high. Connectix Corporation developed the first commercial version of the webcam. Connectix launched the first webcam in 1994, and it approximately cost $99.
The First Webcam was Coffee, developed by a team of researchers at Cambridge University to observe the coffee pot. It was built to ensure and observe that the people did not waste too much time consuming the coffee. The utility of the webcam increased in 1993 as it was connected to the internet. As soon as the news spread about the webcam, more than 150,000 people came online just to watch the live stream of the coffee pot.